Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Nothing Fuzzy about this retelling

Fuzzy NationFuzzy Nation by John Scalzi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I thought I'd found another great writer in John Scalzi. I'd read the Old Man's War Series, The Android's Dream, even Biz Agent to the Stars and couldn't get enough. But then I saw his latest offering. My first reactions was to think, what kind of a nitwit would decided to retell H. Beam Piper's classic original Fuzzy tale like some jazzed up movie remake? But I read it anyway. I like Scalzi's work that much.


Boy was I rewarded with a great tale. It is a more scathing and in-depth indictment of today's corporate culture than the movie Avatar. And Scalzi's protagonist Jack Hollaway is one of the strongest characters I've read in years — more devious and edgier than Slippery Jim diGriz.


I definitely recommend that readers overcome any misgivings they have about changes to Piper's classic and read it. And, you can bet that I'll be looking for the next thing by Scalzi out in print.


View all my reviews

No comments: